Sunday 7 April 2024

Race 27 of 60 @ 60: Pendle

The first race that I ever did and the only one I did as a teenager, forty odd years ago, was Pendle. I was introduced to the sport by my old physics teacher, Mr Holmes who also taught me how to orienteer and was probably responsible for me subsequently studying physics at university. Class teacher, in every sense.

My first long race was on The Isle of Jura in 1995, the year that Rob Jebb famously went the wrong way and a local bloke won. In the small world of Darwen Dashers I arrived as a fell runner by dint of my victory over Mark Nutter of Clayton le Moors in that event and it’s Mark who now organises the classic Pendle Fell Race. It’s not dissimilar to the Black Come Race in that it ascends the hill twice, firstly by a sensible and well-trodden route and secondly by a stupidly steep grassy slope directly up Big End. It all went to script for me – hard work on the climbs but passed a few on the fast bits. Missed out on a podium position by a minute or so.

Results: 61st/187 V60: 4th/24 Time: 46:43
Distance: 7.3km Climb: 457m

No comments:

Post a Comment