Wednesday 3 April 2024

Race 26 of 60 @ 60: The Pete Hartley Memorial Liver Hill

Back to Marl Pits for the first evening race of the season, meeting up with some old Darwen Dasher pals packing head torches just in case. It’s an out and back course over muddy fields and moorland and although it does bag a hill top and has some technical bits it isn’t fell racing as a Cumbrian would understand it. What it does have is that low key, EOD only, cag recommended vibe that defines the best events for me.

Particularly slimy this year my time was down on 10 years ago but my position at the finish was somewhat better. Beat Dave Naughton – result! But not Rossendale’s own MV65 Mervyn Keys – he’s always been properly good. I was well beaten too by Darwen Dashers’ Gareth Taylor in much the same way as I always failed to catch his dad during 20 years as a Dasher myself. That’s only to be expected I suppose.

Results: 32nd/117 V60-69: 2nd/23 Time: 47:23
Distance: 7km Climb: 250m

No comments:

Post a Comment