Saturday 30 December 2023

Bilberry Fields Winter Fell Race: Race 11 of 60@60

So on to Todmorden for the third race in 4 days, making hay while the sun doesn't shine in the busy week between Christmas and New Year. This can't go well. I've never done the Bilberry Fields Winter Fell Race before but looking at the map outside the pub at registration I do have a vague recollection of once doing a summer evening race with an out and back bit on the Calderdale Way. After much discussion, we figure out which way round we'll be going and it's up, along, down, back up, back along, back down. Simples. Minimal kit requirements, just follow everybody else, it'll be reet, just like the old days!

Tim again sets off fastest of our group, Luke follows, then me, just trying to stay running up the concrete road where the race starts. Katie again sets off at the back. My legs feel surprisingly strong and I pass a few on the first along then pass some more on the first fabulous down, Tim amongst them. He gets me back on the back up and opens a small gap but I repond on the back along, passing on the turn into the back down. Great fun - a proper ding dong do. Beating the boyfriend of your daughter, of half your age, is an inestimable pleasure, and first V60 to boot. A good day!

Left to right: Tim, me, Luke and Katie

Results: 23rd/74  V60:1st/12   Time: 47:47
Distance: 7.4km  Climb: 371m

Luke: 16th T: 43:56    Tim: 30th T: 49:21   Katie: 47th T: 55:12

No comments:

Post a Comment