Friday 26 July 2024

Race 48 of 60 @ 60: Ambleside Sports Senior Guides Race

Probably the perfect Guides Race. Viewable from the field virtually all the way to the top, runnable by the best runners all the way save for the short scrambly bit at the summit and fast runnable all the way down into the show field. I had a slight knot of nervousness in my stomach before the start having realised that as well as Joe, runaway leader of the series in the V60 category, most of the contenders for best of the rest had also turned up. It was Nick who got to the top first of that competitive little group, with a number of younger runners separating him from me, Chris and Ray - two V60 contenders from Helm Hill. I threw myself down the short rocky section, passing four within metres of the turn then set about the long grassy descent with intent. I caught Nick part way down and held off Chris and Ray who were both chasing hard. I have come to the realisation that it is no help looking over your shoulder worrying about being caught but instead I focus on the runner in front and aim to reel them in - Kirstin Bailey, the leading FV50 on this occasion.

Chris Speight right on my tail at the top

Results: 39th/96  V60: 2nd/14  Time: 22:02

Distance; 2.7km  Climb: 240m

No comments:

Post a Comment